DIY Skin Care in 5 Easy Steps!
We live in a world of craziness, uncertainty,tight schedules, pollution, chemically-laden products, high anxiety, and environmental toxin overload. Our skin does show the effects of it from time to time. Thankfully. With a little commitment.
You can maintain your skin's natural beauty at home as well as when you travel! Continue reading to get some tips. And simple at-home methods to reduce stress. Maintain your lustrous skin, and reduce aging signs:
1.) Skin Cleansing
The first step in caring for your skin is to properly clean it! I cannot emphasize this enough.. Sweat, grease, dust, stale make-up, dirt, and bacteria gets trapped on your skin and must be completely removed. There are varying skin types; oily, dry, sensitive, and acne-prone.
There are different cleansers for each individual type, based on the pH and other varying factors. Which helps to clean the skin, open the pores, and allows for the skin to best absorb the products you are going to apply. If you wear a lot of make-up, you may want to first use a makeup remover to get the majority of the make-up off your face before you cleanse it..
To properly cleanse, begin by wetting the face with lukewarm water. Apply the cleanser that is best for your skin type on your face and neck. Gently massage in a circular, upward motion for at least five minutes. (Duration also depends on the instructions provided with the cleanser you are using). I massage mine in for 2 minutes which is wonderful for me. When you’re done massaging in the cleanser. You can remove it by using a damp washcloth and warm water to ensure all residue is removed from the face.
2.) Skin Toning
Next, tone your skin using skin freshener (mild), skin tonic (medium strength), or an astringent lotion (strong). I use Rose Water which works well on my acne prone skin, it doesn’t over dry or irritate my skin which I love so much.
Toning is very important because it helps remove any remaining greasiness on your skin after you clean it. It helps to close pores. And maintain the skin's natural pH. When you apply makeup, it gives you a smooth and sleek finish, which helps bind the foundation and powder for a longer time.
3.) Skin Nourishment
Skin Nourishment is so important in the beauty world. Dirt, dust, hot and cold weather, cosmetics, and even sunlight, all tend to dry out the skin, hijacking all its moisture. Subsequently, you have to make it priority to cleanse your face each night before bed it’s a requirement to younger looking skin.
Moisturizers attempt to replenish nourishment to your skin, reviving its natural healthiness. Different moisturizers work well for different skin types. Choose one that is best suited for you. If your skin is more on the oily side, avoid moisturizers that contain oils and opt for one that contains glycerin instead.
If you have dry skin, applying a moisturizer right after washing your face is beneficial to prevent the drought and to get the moisturizer locked in right away. If you have neutral skin, you can usually get away with using a product that contains oil or glycerin. Just be certain to look for a product for neutral skin types.
If you desire healthy good looking skin then a facial is the quickest way of cleansing, reviving, and brightening faded skin, leaving the skin light, soft and glowing. A facial also does a thorough job of relaxing frazzled nerves so that you emerge not only looking younger but also feeling fresher and more relaxed!
A facial once or twice each month will ensure rejuvenated and fresh skin for a long time to come! As women we tend to take on a lot of stress which negatively affects our skins’ youthfulness so getting a facial helps to pamper and relax us, which is so delicious for our skin.
If you can afford to get a professional salon type facial done, then find someone who uses natural products and pays attention to your skin type. However, if you do not have the time to go for this,don’t worry , you can give yourself a facial at home! Choose a time when you can be undisturbed and quiet, and get everything ready before you start so that you can relax and really enjoy it!
Follow this quick at-home facial routine below:
- Tie your hair away from your face and neck, using a headband to pull any remaining hair away from your forehead.
- Start by removing makeup either using makeup remover wipes, coconut oil or any other method to remove all facial residue. Cleanse your face and neck with a good cleanser to thoroughly remove dirt and grime.
- The next step is a gentle exfoliation to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and bacteria allowing the skin to best absorb the other products. We love using a simple, DIY exfoliant of organic coffee grounds, hot water, and warmed organic coconut oil but you can also find amazing store-bought products to use.
- Now you want to prepare a face mask suitable for your skin type. On a thoroughly clean and exfoliated face, spread a fairly thick layer avoiding the mouth area and creating large circles around the eyes. Then, lie on your back and keep the mask on for 15 to 20 minutes or until dry.
Such a lovely time to just close your eyes and listen to the environmental sounds around you.. There are many options for creating an amazing mask at home but the one I love the most is a simple mixture of organic coconut oil, honey, fresh avocado and turmeric.
- When the mask is dry, wash your face and neck with lukewarm water, keeping your eyes closed. Dry your skin and apply your favorite toner.
- Finally, now that the skin is thoroughly cleansed, exfoliated, and the pores are open, it is time to apply skin serum and/or moisturizer to the face. Spend some time massaging it in using upward, circular motions.
5.) Massaging your Skin
Massaging your face is another essential practice for healthy skin and can also be really relaxing! While being an effective way to counter wrinkles, massaging is a slow process and its results are obvious only if it is practiced regularly for an extended period of time. With that being said, there is no doubt that massage is highly beneficial for tightening facial tissues, increasing blood flow, stimulating nerves and thus, boosting collagen production.
Clean your face first before the massaging process.Remove all makeup, otherwise particles of dirt will end up blocking the skin’s pores. Remove oiliness from your face by applying cleansing milk or some astringent lotion. Fresh lemon juice is also very effective in removing excess oiliness ( be sure to do a patch test first ). For dry skin use a good moisturizer before massaging it. Finally, apply Vitamin E cream using only enough to give sufficient greasiness to the skin so that the fingers can move smoothly on the face.
After having cleaned the skin, press it with light but firm fingers, putting a little pressure while applying a good moisturizer. Make sure to hold the skin firmly and apply even pressure. The massage should start from the neck and move upwards ending at the forehead or temples.
Veins and tissues get an increased flow of oxygen/ blood supply by this process. The skin around the eyes is delicate so it is advisable to apply cream on this part without pressing it in too deeply. Please note if you have a jade roller feel free to use it , it is just as effective. Cream takes 15 to 20 minutes to get absorbed by the skin, so massage should continue that long. Gently wipe off excess cream when finished.
The Art of Massaging
- Slow Massage - This is the most common method of massage and the most relaxing. The secret is to massage slowly while patting the skin. Using the fleshy part of your finger tips, press the skin lightly with a slow, stroking motion.. The process starts at the base of the neck at a slow speed. Stroking gives rest to the nerves and the vibration is useful in subduing pain that might be caused over more sensitive areas..
- Fast Massage - The front half of both the palms are used to massage at speed, taking care to make a circular motion upwards
- Pressure Massage - This is a method when slow, deep pressure is applied by the fingertips and is very effective for removing pouches beneath eyes.
-Stroking Massage - Cheeks are stroked with the tips of fingers and strokes are applied from the nose to the temples on both sides
- Pinching Massage - Effective for a sagging chin or wrinkles on the jawline, the skin is held, as in pinchers, between the thumb and fingers and gently massaged.
- Friction Massage - This massage requires pressure on the skin while it is being moved over the underlying bone and muscle structures. Fingers or palms are usually best for this type of massage and hard movements are usually employed on the scalp while light movements are used on the face and neck.
- Piano Playing Movements - This exercise develops facial muscles and makes them firm. It should be done with the fingers on the entire face, especially the cheek area.
Making your own Skin Products
● DIY Face Scrub
In a bowl combine 1/2 cup of Organic Brown Sugar and 1/4 cup of Organic Avocado Oil. Mix well until combined. Scoop out a kiwi, muddle it down and then mix it in with the sugar and oil. Another mixture that I have tried is 1 ripe banana , 2 tbsp of finely ground oatmeal and 1 tbsp of plain greek yogurt . This combo worked really well on my oily skin. Store the mixture in an air-tight glass jar and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
● Handmade Massage Oil
Add 1/4 cup of your favorite carrier oil to a jar or container(almond oil, avocado oil, or coconut oil are all great options) then choose your favorite essential oil, I use lavender oil, it smells great or combination of oils and add 1 tsp total to the carrier oil. Mix well and allow to stand overnight.
● Anti-wrinkle Cream
Melt together 2 tablespoons lanolin or beeswax, 2 tablespoons almond oil and 1 tablespoon apricot oil. Then add 3 tablespoons lemon juice ( test lemon juice to ensure its good for your skin type ) or lemon essential oil. Apricots are very rich in vitamin A and this mixture is great for helping to reduce wrinkles!
● Anti-wrinkle Lotion
Mix together the following ingredients: 1/4 cup of shea butter, 1 tbsp coconut or almond oil, and 16 drops of your favorite essential oil ( I am in love with lavender, rosemary, frankincense, and lemon). Mix well by hand or in a mixer and add to a clean jar.
So there you have it! By following these simple tips, and staying consistent with your routines, you can easily start having brighter, healthier, and more rejuvenated looking skin in no time at all!